BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, February 19, 2011

New Career??Special Education???

So as many of you know I have been working with autistic kids as an ABA behavior interventionist. I never intended when I went to school to end up working with kiddos with developmental delays. I majored in social work and always thought I might end up doing mental health, or in a high school working with juveniles or something like that. When I ended up getting this job right out of college, I almost didn't take it. I had never worked closely with an autistic child and was scared out of my mind. Well I have fallen in love with it and with the kids I work with. I have felt the spirit so strongly working with the autistic populations. Seriously these kids are changing my life and the  pure light of Christ is so evident in them. Of course its difficult sometimes but I feel so ridiculously happy when they accomplish just the smallest thing. Or when they give me a hug, or give me high fives when we get to do something they like to do, or even just singing nursery rhymes with them. So this leads me to something I've been heavily considering the last month or so. I've been seriously thinking about going into special education and becoming a special ed teacher. I  feel so much joy with these kids and never thought I would love it so much. So even though my applications are in for graduate school to get into the Masters of Social work programs I may end up having to apply to masters of Special education programs. So I have a lot of decisions to make in the next few months. I was also just offered a job working with autistic kids somewhere else using some different programs then the place I'm at now and I'd be making more money. I'd be making enough money to buy a house, but if I'm going to be starting graduate school this June or August then it wouldn't make sense to switch jobs. Anyway I don't know, but I love my life and I'm excited for whats to come. Any opinions on this???

3 comments:

Julie said...

Ooo fun! I worked as an ABA therapist too for three years. I LOVED it. Looks like you have a tough decision ahead of you. Furthering your education is always a good idea.

Patrick said...

I think this sounds like a great idea. Your so wonderful and loving, you're exactly what those kids need! The special ed thing, sounds like it could be great, but just think you wouldn't be able to be with the kids for very long. The kids would move along to the next level, next school, next whatever and you for the most part might not see them. Whereas in a position like you're in now you have the opportunity to see them for years to come.

Cassandra Hope said...

:) Work in ILP like me! I've been throwing around the idea of a masters in special ed... I NEVER thought I'd work with this population.. but I LOVE IT!